Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Do I know him?

Has it ever happened to you that you bump into somebody whos face doesnt ring any bell in your brain but the other guy knows everything about you. And you get embarrassed that you dont know him at all. In such situations either our brain starts fabricating illusions of having met the person sometime (his face suddenly starts looking familiar) or you just put an end to the all your pains by pretending that you remembered the person and start having a conversation.

----------------------------------------------------------

I was once walking in IIT in my second year when I see the group of freshies walking towards H-4. From their talk I figure out that they are from hyderabad so I just ask "hey!! sab hyd se ho kya?"

They all turn back with consenting expressions on their faces. And just then one of them goes "Saurav..Saurav Panda..AIR 184 ...electrical department...Ramaiah evening batch..Ratna college."..Even I dont remember how I felt then but I was completely taken by surprise as the guy blurting out all these stats about me was a complete stranger to me..I was amused and I thought might be he knows this by some newspaper or Ratna advertisement..so I ask "abey mein itana famous hun kya?" and then the reply just killed me.."Abey mein Kapil re..saath mein bus mein aatye the..You are from Uppal na..no. 113 bus be..ratna mein tere baju baitha ta tha kabhi kabi...Ramanthpur mein utarta tha" You guys can guess my embarassment as I still had no idea about who the hell was this guy...But I just made up an expression of "oh haaaaaaaan.." and exchanged some pleasantaries and quickly tried to get away from the scene.

ps: Oye Kapil if you are reading, I am sorry but I still dont remember ever meeting you in hyderabad. But it doesn't matter anymore..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had a trip to NY with Ramya, her room mate (Shalu) and Sameer (Gogo). We met up Kakkad at NY and went around NY. Soon we found out that Soumitri(Mimi) was also in town and decided to meet her. We were pretty excited for our small reunion with old friends. And thats when I realised Shalu (Who by then had been through so many discussions about IIT) must be bored of this now. So I planned a prank so that she has her share of fun.(Sorry Mimi that it had to be at your expense!..) We tell Shalu everything about Mimi and ask her to pretend as Mimi's senior at IITB. This is what happened later...

After Ramya introduces Shalu to Mimi..

Shalu: Hey!! You rrrr..Soumitri right..I didnt know she is the Mimi you guys were calling up till now..
Mimi gives a surprised smile..

Shalu(now getting comfortable with her acting): You dont recognise me kya? You were in geology dept right..room 214..

Mimi: Oh my gawwwwwwd!! I am so sorry I dont recognise you ...You even know my first name..and pronounce it exactly as it should be (I dont know how everybody else pronounces it!!)

Then they have discussion of where they had met..And Shalu gave a full demonstration of her acting skills as she made Mimi come of with names of all the functions as she didnt know of the IITian lingo..

After about 5 mins Mimi was visibly embarrassed about the whole situation and says what we all were waiting for:).."Actually now I remember you vaguely now..freshies party ..hmm..yeah yeah..I remember you." And thats when I decided that it was enough and stepped into to explain Mimi the whole situation and she was even more embarrassed.

ps: Getting back to blogging and it feels good.

4 comments:

vishnoi said...

kya re panda...

juniors and batchies ko pareshan karne par lage ho ;)

Shrini said...

DAC bithaana chahiye tum pe...

Panda said...

yaar shrini aise dara mat..DAC sun ke abhi bhi phatati hai..insti can take back degree till some years from which it was granted !!!

Tushar said...

Lols, I have had a similar experience..I was walking through this market and all of a sudden, a guy comes to me and starts talking to me as if he has known me for ages :) And suddenly, he asks whats my name!!! Thats the most irritating thing when any of your remote relatives come to visit you! I mean HELLO, we might be relatives but I might have seen you like couple of times in my entire life, how am I supposed to remember your name!
Anyways there was an embarrassing moment! and suddenly this guys last name clicked, so I was saved :) I was looking for a windows cd and since this guy was carrying one, I ended up getting one for free without even knowing this guys first name :D