Friday, June 03, 2005

'How do u get a girl, man?'

We are having this nice talk abt Thesis, Phd, Latex and everything else when Bhuvan asks "How do u get a girl, man?"

I am sure you have been in this situation in some exam, where you felt terribly helpless and very angry on the professor coz the question he has asked is out of the syllabus and simply can not be answered. I felt not exactly but something similar to it.

"Abey!! yeh kya hai??"

"No, man tell me. How do u get a girl? See you are a phd here. By the time you finish it you will be 28. I am sure your mom will find a girl for you then. In fact you will be running around her, asking her desparately to find one. In case you didn't realise, when you decided to get into Phd, you basically signed an arranged marriage agreement!!!"

Teaun!! This is the sound that comes from Mac's heart when sudden realisation dawns upon him. Now who is Mac is a not related to this blog. But for records he is just another guy.

Before I can come out of this Teaun, the hammer strikes again "Ok, Saurav! You tell me 'How will you get a girl, man???'. Suppose you meet up with a girl in a pub. What will be your conversation?"

---------Pub scene. Dhik chik Dhak chik music playing------

After initial pleasantaries...

Girl: What do you do?
You: Err!! hmm!! I am a student. I mean not exactly. I do research. You can say somewhere between 'a man with a job' and a student.
G: So how much do you make out of it?
Y: (Teaun affect again!!) Lets just say that I get a stipend.
G: Oh!! may be thats why you couldn't buy me that drink.

-----------Back to reality-----------------------------------

"So, Do you think you will get a girl like this? I am sure no. I have seen some indian grads settleing down with some other phds. But I think thats sad!! They reach a position in their life when any thing will do. They want to use it before the expiry date is over!!!"

(Can't this guy talk anything better than this!! I am sure I am going to have nightmares on it tonite!!)

"Abey!! Lets start an indian grad what-do-they-call-it matrimonial. I think we will make good money as well as will be doing something good for our fellow grads."

"This is the first good thing you have said today. But all this time I was thinking and at last got a way to get a girl! Finish Phd, get a great job, have tons of money and money will bring the girls!! And now you can leave so that I can sleep in peace!!"

I was happy. Swelling with pride that I atlast found the answer to the out-of-the-syllabus, can't-be-answered question !! Just than Bhuvan psyched me out!!

"Man!! how do you think to get a job with so much money after PHD??"

5 comments:

Golu said...

sigh :( the woes of a PhD

Karthik said...

Poor Grad student :D

I wish I had come across this blog earlier. The more fun I could have made of it :D

Karthik said...

oh only 1 post. so i didnt miss much :D

K

Panda said...

oye duh..dont worry..I will post the conv between a hardworking PGS and mofo filthy rich CB later..

Bhramara said...

Captures the "challenge" in a witty way. Good one!