Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sister-$&#*#$

what is common in Ares-Pujuju, Shib-sekki, Mother- fucker, madar-chod ...

yes, they all mean someone who has sex with his own mother in different languages. As is my inquisitive self, I have always wondered about different swear words from different cultures. Other guys are also always interested in such topics. Everytime I have had exchange of such knowledge one thing has surprised all of them - "Behen-chod". Apparently this swear word exists only in our sub-continent.

Now After many such discussions obviously I began to think of reasons. One reason that actually sounds logical to me is that maybe they do not consider it as an insult. Isn't it quite reasonable that people would use as swear words, only things that actually are insulting and hurt the other person. Nobody gets insulted if you tell them -"wife-fucker". So, maybe Incest is not quite frowned upon in these cultures hence sister-fucker is not insulting and hence no swear word as such.

After Golu's comment I can think of a more logical reason. As he says that there is higher probability of insulting someone by saying "mother-fucker" as everyne has moms but few people do not have sisters. Now in India the probability of a guy having a sister is also very high. (rakhi fundaes) Hence the probability of you insulting someone with "sister-fucker" is also very high which leads to its more common usage.

Now all this was just a preview to what I actually wanted to jot down. It was another debate with the same labmate with whome I had a debate over accents.

LM: hey, you guys are pretty creative with your swear words.
Me: Now I still do not understand why sister-fucker is creative.
LM: Man!! it is not english.
Me: What?
LM: Yes, sister-fucker is just combination of two english words. But it means nothing.
Me: And mother-fucker!! what about that?
LM: That is an accepted english vocabulary. It is a slang and everybody understands it.
Me: You mean if I go around in US saying sister-fucker to people, they will not react!!!!
LM: Yes, they will look at you funny coz this word means nothing.
Me: Balls to you man..I am sure the word is pretty self explanatory.
LM: It is like say...ummm..ball-kicker. It is two english words and means someone who kicks balls. But it is not english as it is ambigous.
Me: I can bet with you that if I go asking on this road to all persons if they understand sister-fucker, allmost all will exactly know what I am speaking off. There will be no ambiguity that you are speaking off..
LM: I just know it is not english. It means nothing!!
Me: Okay, Indian subcontinent takes pride in giving english a new word - "Sister-fucker". If anybody does not understand what it means you can ask any Indian around you.

1 comment:

Golu said...

Well motherfucker is a more general abuse because chances of a person having a mother are more than chances of the person having a sister :P

In that context it is a safer abuse