Friday, April 21, 2006

In Da Club main Jayein

This is a pretty common thing to dismiss remixes as no-music. The general thinking is that DJs do nothing but take nice old songs and just put dancing beats into them. Maybe one reason for all this is that every Tom-Dick and Harry is coming out with his remix album and the few good ones get lost in somewhere.

I always liked remixed music. Few of my favorites being "Dil kya kare" and "Bahon mein chale aao" by Instant karma. But as with anything untill you actually do it, you never realise how much skill and hard work goes into these things. So I went ahead and made one myself!! ( yeah ,yeah.. I can already hear- here goes another Tom..)

It was not me alone and one of my experienced friends "Kitty"out here at Hopkins helped me out. (help => He did it as I watched!!) First you have to choose two songs which can be remixed. Then you have to figure out exactly which parts of the song can actually be mixed. Chalk out the parts where you think the beats can never match. Then increasing and decreasing of tempo to match the two songs. We used garage band software to do all the DJing. My friend always wanted to remix the "Kissi Disco mein jayein" song and I suggested "In Da Club" to him. After listening to them once we made up our mind - "In Da Club Main Jayein" was to become reality. After some 4 -5 hours of playing, mixing and matching different parts, we had this version. It was so much fun and also I got to appreciate the art of DJing even more.

7 comments:

Varun Singh said...

Accha hai dude sahi mein! :-)

Golu said...

If it is ur creation then why is it on this Dheeraj character's page. Me thinks it was this Kitty friend of urs with Dheeraj and u are just stealing the limelight

Anonymous said...

Kill the cat. He now wants to soil Iron maiden. Stop the blasphemy

Anonymous said...

sandy!! i didnt get your comment...what i understood is lets beat up golu..:)

Anonymous said...

No Kitty the cat. He is a prowler. He wants to remix each and everything in sight.

Varun Singh said...

panda dude, kaunsa software use karta hai? plz mail me at vasingh[@]gmail

Anonymous said...

Juicy sequel to the reservation thread, go there and No DOT is not Slash
-----------------------------------

DOT said...
Slash, I am on the same directory.

I had heard a Sweeper example, "We had a sweeper, he got a peon job in the Bank and drank away all the money, and his wife came to sweep for us. - These people abuse it"

Well, his son sure won't mess up when its his turn, his mother wont let him. A classic case for reservation in education, there would have been no sweeper in the first place.

DOT